The Second - Mother Nature's Magic


MOTHER NATURE'S MAGIC

Circadian rhythm & routine

As we are returning to normal schedule after the month of Ramadan here in Kuwait, there are a few things to note when it comes to the timing of one's day.

In my case for instance, most days during a normal week look very similar where bed time, meals and working out all happen roughly at the same time. This isn't because I'm a boring person (although some might argue I am..) but because it helps my body feel and perform its best. You might say thats only relevant because I am an "athlete" and a coach, but in actual fact it's how everyones body performs and feels the best - to get the most out of your daily life.

Circadian rhythm; something maybe you've heard of before or perhaps not. It's essentially your  biological processes each day (24h) which are, whether you want it or not, in tune with light. Your body is naturally wired to wake up after sunrise and go to bed after sunset. If you maintain that cycle, magic happens. The more consistent your bed and wake time, the better your body feels and performs. When I say perform; I mean your metabolism, digestion, quality of sleep and mood will all improve. Humans are not made to be night owls (although I think most of Kuwait is testing that theory as life tends to be left to the later hours of the day here...). The funny thing is; when you do stay up late or do something out of your usual rhythm, you'll find it hard to sleep because your body is on high alert, assuming you are in danger. Netflix and chill till 2am isn't really that chill after all.

Despite the modern advances in our daily life, humans are biologically wired for a lot of things directly linked to the earth we live on, and fighting those cause issues for health and well being. For instance just the lack of sunlight a person has during a day can cause a multitude of issues from vitamin deficiencies,  slower metabolism as well as mood shifts to name a few. Mother Nature holds so many simple answers to issues which people consider to be complex health problems, seeking medicine instead of nature. Yes, I am that girl who will tell you to sit in the sun for 15 minutes if you're feeling low. It works.

Let's get back to that post-Ramadan schedule. Although I do not observe Ramadan myself, running a business here means working hours are shifted and the daily life slows down significantly. Evenings run into the night and mornings run into midday. In turn, my wake and sleep hours shift and as a result my appetite and energy levels change too. The usual feeling of hunger is absent in the morning and therefore I eat later, generally eating less altogether. For those who are fasting, meals are eaten after sunset and well into the night or early hours - a time usually spent asleep. This together with the change in sleep pattern all adds to the lack of energy. Usual training & workouts are replaced with just something a little bit tamer and that's ok. We have to adapt to changes at times and adjust the routine. It's the coming back from it that matters.

The steps to return to normal:

This last week I have slowly shifted back to my old routine, a day at a time. Going to bed a little earlier, waking up a little earlier and getting back to eating the usual meals closer to my normal schedule. Sunlight has been crucial during this time; making sure I go out and see the sun as soon as I wake up, and seeing the sunset at night. Another focus has been to eat enough protein; tracking my food more closely to ensure I'm getting enough, especially at night - what a difference it all makes. Several weeks of poor recovery and feeling sluggish has been replaced with great recovery and a feeling of being able to push again. Circadian rhythm:restoring.

To bring yourself back from a period of unusual timing or post-travel jet lag, try it out. Even if you don't live somewhere sunny like here, daylight is enough. Sadly, I am unable to rectify those weather related dire circumstances but I can recommend living in the desert. There's always that.

For any of you looking to get fitter, healthier or wanting to lose weight; if you tell me you've tried everything (from tracking macros, training, this & that) but you haven't managed to get yourself to bed at the same time or go outdoors on a regular basis - you haven't tried everything. I might then also question whether or not you've done the former consistently also, but that's a conversation for another day.

Consistency is key in health, fitness & life, with a good dash of patience. Go be wild by going to bed early and then catch some morning rays - just might change your life.


Picture: My super crispy chicken & spiced rice with peas



Comments


  1. Totally agree.. I noticed the my energy went low during ramadan specially last week of it with fasting and sleeping late and working out without eating the right food, it effected my energy but will get back on track step by step to recover better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you get on now we are a week into normal schedule!

      Delete
  2. From my experience when I eat good and sleep well everything become better first my mood my energy and the most important thing is feeling happy and self confident

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's amazing how much of an impact the right food and routine has on our life!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts